31 October 2011
The Sustainable Shipping Initiative (SSI) today launched its Vision 2040 in London, in which its members have pledged to work toward a shipping industry that is resilient, socially and environmentally responsible and profitable.
SSI was established in 2010 by like-minded shipping industry leaders from around the world, including Gearbulk, working in close cooperation with non-governmental organisations Forum for the Future and WWF. SSI's mission is to tackle some of the industry's greatest sustainability challenges and the opportunities they present. It is the first global-scale shipping cooperation of its kind.
SSI's Vision 2040 includes:
- Becoming a more trusted and responsible partner in communities in which shipping operates
- Providing a safe, healthy, secure and rewarding work environment
- Diversifying the industry's energy mix
- Ensuring greater resource efficiency to make dramatic reductions in green house gas intensity
- Ensuring responsible governance of oceans
- Promoting greater transparency and accountability at corporate and industry levels
- Enabling the financing and large scale uptake of technological and operational innovations that will lead to a step change in the industry's performance on sustainability
SSI members are developing several initial work streams which cover activities such as materials management, finance and energy technology.